Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Just doing my civic duty.

I'm not much for being a tattle tale but when it comes to my safety and the safety of others I will gladly make a phone call to 911 to report reckless driving. And that, my friends, is exactly what I did today. On my way home from watching Jeffrey I'm driving down Telegraphy when behind me I notice a car on my rear end that's way too close for comfort. I look down at my speedometer to see that I'm going about 50 mph which is about 10 miles above the speed limit, so there's no reason for Mr. Impatient behind me to be riding my tail. I look at the fellow to see that he looks awfully like one of those "Too cool for school" types so I figure the best thing to do is to just let him chill out. There's no reason for me to go any faster and he's trapped because the car in the lane next to me is going about the same speed as me. Too bad buddy. Then at one point he gets into the turn lane and pulls up next to me as if to turn onto a side street but instead he uses the turn lane as a third lane of traffic to cut around me and pull in front of me. At this point I'm livid and so I lay on my horn. Then he proceeds to stick his middle finger out the window at me and bounce up and down in his car like a hoodlum. (Wow could I sound anymore like my mother?!?) What more could the kid do to make me angry? Well he decides to slam on his brakes at every stoplight as if he wanted to create some kind of accident situation where I would rear end him. Lucky for me I was smart enough to see this little trick he was playing. For a few more miles down Telegraph he continues to weave in and out of traffic in front of me preventing me from passing him up and getting out of the danger zone. So I pick up my phone, write down his license plate number and call 911. I figure I might as well call the guy in just in case there's a cop around to catch him acting like an idiot. Who knows if the guy will get caught but I can feel better knowing I did my duty and reported the jerk kid. I find myself being more assertive in those situations because I realize that the less idiots that get by with doing dumb stuff like that, the safer the roads might be. I'm no Dwight Schrute with my pepper spray in hand, but I do what I can to protect society.

No comments: